Host name

In my home’s intranet, I need to connect to my linux server from my XP laptop. To directly use the linux computer’s name instead of the IP adress, I need to make sure that XP can correctly map the host name to the IP address. I have tried two options. The first is to modify the hosts file in windows, and the second is to directly modify the IP-hostname pair in the router’s DNS setup. And I prefer the second method.

The first method:
use Notepad to open the file “c:windows\system32\drivers\hosts”, or “c:windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts”
at NT, it’s c:winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts, and add the following line beast

which mapped the IP address to my linux machine “beast”. The following link is very useful to me,

In order to set up the hostname on the linux box, I made a change on the /etc/hosts file, which looks like this: beast.localdomain localhost beast beast.localdomain localhost beast

Compile wireless driver for Fedora

After moving to a new home, I got a wireless router/modem combo with super-G capability from Verizon. So I bought a new wireless Super-G PCI card from Planet for my Dell poweredge 400SC server. The latest Fedora core 3 that I installed on this server, however, didn’t even pick up the card. I had to do some search on Google, and did find some posts of using Madwifi. It was mentioned on site that one need to go through a series of steps to install the madwifi driver including installing the kernel source if it’s not available on the server. Even though I did try compiling a new kernel (2.6.10-rc2), in the end, however, I found that probably I only need to install Madwifi on Fedora 3 and there is no need to do anything related to the kernel, because it doesn’t seem to matter which kernel I used once I installed the Madwifi.

According to the Howto on, I have to download the madwifi file. I went to
(Note: The new link is now at on July 4th, 2005) and picked a latest version of 11/20/2004 ( When I tried to compile it using “make”, it, however, complained that there is no program “uudecode” in my system. Anyway, I had to go to a mirror site of Redhat to download the RPM file sharutils-4.2.1-22.i386.rpm, which contains the uudecode program. The path of the file is /pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/3/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/.

$ cd madwifi-20041120
$ make
$ make install

After installing the driver, I rebooted the machine. I was happy to see that the Kuzu indeed picked up the wireless card. The machine hung there for a couple of minutes to set up this card before giving up. After returning to KDE desktop, I click “System Settings” -> “Network”, and found that my wireless card was listed as ath0 along with the ethernet card eth0. I double clicked this card and entered a configuration menu for this card. On the menu, I found a “Wireless Setting”, from which, I could set up the SSID, channel and password etc. After that, I clicked “Activate” for the card, and bing-go, the card comes out successfully 🙂 (Note: in the new Fedora 4, I have to click menu New-> Wireless connection -> Forward, and then configure the card).

BTW, I wrote down the kernel compiling step below anyway because it did cost me most of the time, although maybe for nothing.

First, I go to to download the latest stable Linux kernel, which is 2.6.9. But I got an error related to a SCSI driver while compiling it, like “drivers/scsi/qla2xxx/qla_os.c compile failed …”

I can’t believe why it was called a stable release even it failed in a simple compilation on the latest redhat platform 🙁 Anyway, I had to download the new kernel patch again from, and apply the patch.

$ cd linux-2.6.9
$ patch -p1 < ../patch-2.6.10-rc2 $ make menuconfig $ make $ mv bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-rc2 $ mv /boot/ $ vi /boot/grub/grub.conf and add the following lines title Linux 2.6.10-rc2 root (hd0,0) kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10-rc2 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet After rebooting, it looks like grub has difficulty reckening the file system, I might need to generate and add the initrd settings.

Blog spam

My site was hit by several comment spams right after I installed WordPress, which forced me to look for good filters to kill those bastards. This link ( ) really helps.

Erwin export

Here is the way to export an Erwin schema to a picture file, which I learned from my company’s DBA.

Edit/Copy, then choose picture. You can then choose Metafile or Bitmap (no GIF or JPG, but you should be able to get a bitmap to one of those formats if you wish). This will of course save it to the clipboard, you’ll need to paste it somewhere like a Word document or better yet an image editor.